auctex

string variables in LaTeX-indent-level-count: "" or nil?

From: Mandar Mitra
Subject: string variables in LaTeX-indent-level-count: "" or nil?
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 12:47:49 +0530

I just upgraded from MELPA last night. I'm looking at (no pun intended) the
function LaTeX-indent-level-count in elpa/auctex-14.0.4/latex.el. It contains
tests of the form

(looking-at LaTeX-indent-begin-regexp-exceptions-local)

(looking-at LaTeX-indent-begin-regexp-local)

(looking-at LaTeX-indent-end-regexp-local)

These variables seem to be nil by default, and looking-at is not happy, because
it expects a string.

Is this oversight, or am I doing something wrong?