auctex

Re: string variables in LaTeX-indent-level-count: "" or nil?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: string variables in LaTeX-indent-level-count: "" or nil?
Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 13:10:11 +0200

Mandar Mitra <mandar.mitra@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Mandar,

> I just upgraded from MELPA last night.

You mean ELPA, right?

> I'm looking at (no pun intended) the function LaTeX-indent-level-count
> in elpa/auctex-14.0.4/latex.el. It contains tests of the form
>
> (looking-at LaTeX-indent-begin-regexp-exceptions-local)
>
> (looking-at LaTeX-indent-begin-regexp-local)
>
> (looking-at LaTeX-indent-end-regexp-local)
>
> These variables seem to be nil by default, and looking-at is not
> happy, because it expects a string.
>
> Is this oversight, or am I doing something wrong?

The function LaTeX-mode has :after-hook (LaTeX-mode-cleanup) which calls
LaTeX-indent-commands-regexp-make again and will set those variables to
actual regex strings.

But note that the update to AUCTeX 14 from 13 or older can be a bit
tricky because of heavy changes.  If something seems fishy, do M-x
package-delete auctex RET, restart emacs, and then install auctex again.

Bye,
Tassilo