automake-ng

Re: [Automake-ng] [FYI] [ng] maint: use name "Automake-NG" in more place

From: Dave Hart
Subject: Re: [Automake-ng] [FYI] [ng] maint: use name "Automake-NG" in more places, bump version
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:16:28 +0000

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 22:27, Stefano Lattarini
<address@hidden> wrote:
> It's time to start renaming this project for good, if we want to
> avoid nasty confusions with mainstream Automake.  But renaming also
> the 'automake' script to 'automake-ng' could cause gratuitous
> incompatibilities and unexpected errors, so we prefer to instead
> bump the version from '1.11a' to '2.0a'.
>
> The renaming "Automake" -> "Automake-NG" is mostly for README files
> and some comments.  Doing that for the documentation would be
> trickier, and might cause extra spurious conflicts when we merge
> 'master' into 'ng/master', so we leave that move for a later time.

When you first proposed dropping make portability from an Automake
fork, you proposed calling it Automake 2.0.  After some expressed
their desire to see make portability continue in Automake, which such
naming suggested was coming to an end, you settled on Automake-NG.  At
least I think I wasn't alone in valuing distributing tarballs that
don't have recent GNU make as a build prerequisite.

Now you say you're "renaming this project for good" but what I see is
cursory renaming and co-opting of the 2.0 version number from
traditional Automake.  Congratulations on achieving your original
goal.

Disgusted,
Dave Hart