Re: [avrdude-dev] program error?

From: Alex Shepherd
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] program error?
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 23:11:19 +1200

Hi Guys,

> So I figured I'd give avrdude on win32 another try. Last week it detected a
> verification error even though my avrstudio was able to program and verify
> just fine. It's still showing the same error:
>
> avrdude: verifying ...
> avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0022
>          0xb3 != 0xb0
> avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
>
> avrdude done.  Thank you.

I think its really good to have this programmer now included with WinAVR. Now
you really do only need a single package to get going, good work guys!

However I too have been getting this verify error sometimes, not always but
sometimes. It seems to have problems and that it is fine for quite some time.
Before I started to type this email I retried it to capture the screen output
but it was fine for a few runs and then failed about 3 times in a row and then
was good for another 6 or so times. The addresses are not always in the same
place, they seem to change. I'm pretty sure my hardware is ok as I can use
PonyProg2000 2.05a for some time with no verify problems. See screen output
below

I would like to be able to use this, but because its not 100% reliable I am
still using PonyProg called from my make file with a *.e2s file.

My board is a Dontronics DT006, programmed via the parallel port and I'm
running on Win2K.

Also I am running avrdude from within the JFE (Jen's File Editor) and when it
captures the output window, the updating numbers cause it to scroll. Running
from the CMD.EXE window is fine of course. Would it be possible to have an
option to print a "." for each block across the screen a bit like FTP, rather
than the numbers to reduce the scrolling?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Alex Shepherd

C:\Projects\EmbeddedLocoNet\apps\LcdKpdEncThrottle>avrdude -e -p m8 -i main.hex
-E noreset -y

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9307
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: erase-rewrite cycle count is now 333
avrdude: done.
avrdude: reading input file "main.hex"
avrdude: input file main.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (6782 bytes):
  6781
avrdude: 6782 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against main.hex:
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:
  6781
avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x12c0
         0x8e != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done.  Thank you.

C:\Projects\EmbeddedLocoNet\apps\LcdKpdEncThrottle>avrdude -e -p m8 -i main.hex
-E noreset -y

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9307
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: erase-rewrite cycle count is now 334
avrdude: done.
avrdude: reading input file "main.hex"
avrdude: input file main.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (6782 bytes):
  6781
avrdude: 6782 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against main.hex:
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:
  6781
avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 6782 bytes of flash verified