Re: [avrdude-dev] AVR910 Programming speed

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] AVR910 Programming speed
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:16:33 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Bertolt Mildner wrote:

:) I just started playing around with a AVR910 Programmer and avrdude.
:)
:) I'm very disapointed over the programming speed.
:)
:) Writeing 5342 Bytes to a AT90S8515 gives me the
:) following times (erase, write, verify):
:)
:) avrdude 3:30
:) AVR Studio 4 1:10
:) PonyProg2000 (SI-Prog hardware) 0:30
:)
:) Are AVR910 programmers known to be slow in general?
:) Anyone got an idea why avrdude is 3 times slower that AVR Studio?
:) Is there any chance to get close to the 0:30 using a AVR910
:) programmer at all?
:)
:)
:) My environment:
:) Win2000, P-III 550MHz
:)
:) recent CVS snapshot build using Cygwin
:) command line is "avrdude -c avr910 -P COM2 -p 8515 -e -i test2.hex"
:)
:) self built AVR910 programmer using firmware 2.2 or 2.3 from Atmel. Both
:) minimaly tweaked because I use a AT90S2313 (instead of the AT90S1200)
:) running at 4MHz.

I suspect that your firmware supports automatic address increment. The
firmware I used didn't so I had no idea how to handle it.

Without auto incr, avrdude sends 3 extra bytes (cmd + hi + lo bytes).

I just found a 2.2 firmware here:

  http://www.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/Turner/avr/

and a 2.0 here:

  http://medo.fov.uni-mb.si/mapp/AVR/avr910-2.0.asm

and indeed the auto incr is there. I think is the sw version is >=
2.0, then avrdude should assume that auto incr is present.

Could you send me a 2.3 firmware if you have it? I didn't have any
luck with google.

Ted Roth