RE: Re[3]: [avrdude-dev] AVR910 Programming speed

From: Daniel Williamson
Subject: RE: Re[3]: [avrdude-dev] AVR910 Programming speed
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:24:21 +0100

I mean the incrementing counter that is displayed on the terminal window,
For each update I guess there is a carriage return and a printf to show the
number of bytes written. This is happening quite quickly, and in the past
I've noticed a significant slow down when writing text to the terminal
window, for either a counter or formatted data in my own software.

I don't know how quickly it's updating but it seems prety fast and so it's
taking up processor time, and more importantly Bus time, i.e. formatting
data and then writing it to the graphics card through whatever drivers and
who knows how many layers?

In the past the slow down can also be affected (On windows systems at least)
on the priority of the dos window, Wheter it is full screen and so on...

It's just an Idea?

:) Concerning the speed difference. Is there a way to turn off the output to
:) the terminal window?

Which output are you referring to? If you are talking about the number
of bytes written, the avr910 code does do that with the changes I made
over the weekend. I need to add that, but it will only happen if
verbosity is turned on with -v.

I was just looking at the stk500.c code and it looks like the
stk500_paged_write() function doesn't honor the verbosity option so
the bytes written are always on. I've committed the attached to remedy
that.

:) or perhaps just increment it every n bytes.
:) On Win2k running a dos window I've written programs that write to the
:) terminal window and it can really make a difference.
:) Even for a few 10's of writes using printf it makes a noticible
difference.
:) If somebody with a working source could patch out the display code and
time
:) it then it's another possibility tried.

Ted Roth