Re: [avrdude-dev] USART1

From: Lou
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] USART1
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:50:50 +0200

On 27 Apr 2003 at 17:23, Erick   Castillo wrote:

> I can see how disabling the external circuitry with jumpers might work,
> but what about the software side. Suppose I program PORTE or USART1 so
> that there is continous activity through those lines. Will I have to
> explicitly disable the UART in order to program it using those same lines
> or can I simply start the download?

Summing up the two answers, from Brian and Joerg (working in reset state,
using UART0), what I'd add is just that the first programming phase takes
over everything just once (or twice, if you're unlucky?), anyway only during
development.

Instead of a jumper I'd think about employing a single resistor (say 1.. 4.7
kOhm), in series to the transmit-data-from-serial-port line: the MOSI line
from the outside would a have a "precedence" over it, and if the programmer
has a buffer (as a generic '244) can safely drive that.

This would help you *a lot* in avoiding mis-configuration of jumpers, in any
production/test environment.

Lou