Re: [avrdude-dev] ATmega162 support + one minor issue

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] ATmega162 support + one minor issue
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 19:36:09 -0400

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:25:52AM +0200, Stephan Eisvogel wrote:

> In  addition  I  want  to  add  that I'm using my own compiled version
> (Cygwin  1.3.22,  4.1.0-cvs  from  3 days ago) and I've seen a problem
> when  I try to read an empty chip, the raw binary output file stays at
> size 0. I don't have time to search the source to spot the location of
> this peculiar bug/feature, sorry.

Technically, this is a feature.  The code looks at the data that it
read out of the chip and shortens the data to eliminate contiguous
0xff that reaches to the top of the address space.  It does this for
FLASH memory only, since when you erase the FLASH, the contents are
0xff.  Thus, there's no need to retain it.  The main benefit of this
is for when you are programming - if your code is only 20K, there's no
need to program the additional 108K of data (in the case of the
ATmega128) when it is all 0xff anyway.

Glad you got your part working!  Thanks for the update to the config
file.  It will get added some point soon.

Cheers,
-Brian
--
Brian Dean