[avrdude-dev] Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programming Fi

From: E. Weddington
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programming File
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:43:58 -0600

Colin O'Flynn wrote:

Hey,

This is from a thread on AVRFreaks, and previous ideas bounced around. My idea is to create a unified AVR programming file format, possibly extensionable to work with any platform (ie: not only AVR).
My basic idea was as follows:

Have one .tar (possibly .tar.gz or .zip) format file, which a different extension. This would be done to ensure we know what it is really supposed to be, perhaps .ump (Unified Microcontroller Programming file) - this .ump extension doesn't seem to be too heavily used unlike most other extensions (http://www.rmspl.com.au/umatrix.htm is the only thing I could find that uses it)

This file would have in it several separate files:

--*.hex file <-- The AVR image file
--*.fuse file <-- new text file with AVR fuse settings in it
--*.txt file <-- text file with version information on the rest of the files, other notes
--*.md5 file <-- md5sum of everything, save for the .md5 file of course

You will see that everything could be done with normal utilities available on Linux - md5sum, tar, etc. This way the file format is as easy to work with as possible and you aren't locked into specific tools. As well to make "programs" that do stuff like verify the file's md5sum and generate a proper md5sum after you have modified the file would be simple shell scripts (on Linux/Unix anyway) which makes it easy to work with. In fact a wrapper for avrdude could probably be made which would extract the files, check them, then call avrdude as needed.

What do you think?

I think that this is very doable.

For reference, IIRC Java .jar files are nothing more than a .zip file that contains other files and has been renamed. This is what you are proposing too. The zip format and libraries are available on both *nix and Windows (as well as Cygwin). However, the Uniz zip *utility* does not come with WinAVR, but, strangely enough, it does have bzip2.

The program md5sum is available on WinAVR, so that covers the .md5 file. The .txt file is written by the user. The .hex file is, of course, generated by AVR GCC. The only thing really new would be the .fuse file. In the -U swtich, we need to have something like Immediate Mode (m) but the contents in a file. Implementing that would probably not be hard.

This could probably be continued on the avrdude list (I've CCed there).

Eric