Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programmin

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programming File
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:18:30 -0300

Hey,

So zip sounds good, especially because WindowsXP even has built-in ZIP
support. So as long as the fact that the files are really .zip is advertised
it keeps support for it even when the user doesn't want anything to do with
UNIX.

I know nothing about XML - how hard would the parser be to implement?

Would we need real XML or could we fake it so to speak, just catching onto key
phrases...

I forgot all about the extra files, but actually it would be good if we could
have multiple files in the archive. Although I'm getting ahead of myself, It
would be nice to even have this thing setup as a "system" programming file.

So for example if you've got an AVR and a FPGA, both files are stored in one
spot. This eliminates the problem with such a system (or any system with more
than one programmable device) where you go "oh crap... firmware 1.23 on the
AVR only works with firmare 0.12, not with 0.15.. which version is this!?".

Also the other queston is how to do this - support built into avrdude, or a
separate project that calls avrdude? No matter what I'd like to have some
separate projects, but they could later be integrated into avrdude. The
reason for the separate projects is so that other compiler writers can
integrate support for this file format into their tools easily. Otherwise I
think it will become a forgotten format, perhaps only used within avr-gcc.

Regards,

 -Colin