Re: [avrdude-dev] Using USB port

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Using USB port
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:18:18 +0100

As Sumeet Pal Singh wrote:

> Sorry for the incompleteness, I have a home brew avr910 programmer
> (using max232 and AT90S2313) and no extra money to buy a new one (i
> am a college student) :-)

Well, as you are thinking about buying a laptop, building a different
programmer that talks a more intelligent protocol than AVR910 (like an
USBisp or USBasp) should be peanuts, compared to the price of the
laptop.  Even the USD 30 or so required for an Atmel AVRISP should be
little money in comparision to the laptop.

Otherwise, if you insist on using the AVR910 programmer, see to buy a
laptop with a genuine serial port.  They are still available (our
company bought one about a year ago), but the industry wants to make
you believe serial ports would not be needed anymore because
supposedly everything could be done through USB.

> Has someone tried to use the programmer with usb port?

It might work, but will be dog slow.  I wrote it a number of times
why, including in this mailing list (just a few days ago).