Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude/avrdoper cdc mode problem under linux

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude/avrdoper cdc mode problem under linux
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:27:45 +0200

As Pinitnun Shanasabang wrote:

> for cdc mode, the driver is installed, the device (/dev/ttyACM0) is
> added automatically. I call avrdude with the command

> avrdude -p m32 -c stk500v2 -P /dev/ttyACM0

> it returns,

> avrdude: ser_send(): write error: Invalid argument.

That looks like a problem with the driver to me.  You could narrow
down about when it happens by adding -vvvv (four "v"s).

Curious, what would be the advantage of CDC mode, anyway?  Yes, I know
that HID mode is a crock which has mainly been used since for Windows,
all the USB world appears to look like a human interface -- because
that's close to the only class of devices they can talk to without
installing a vendor driver.  But then, if you're on Linux, you've got
libusb which can talk to any device, so why bother with a driver at
all?