[avrdude-dev] [bug #29263] Can't build avrdude on windows using latest c

From: giuliano carlini
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #29263] Can't build avrdude on windows using latest cygwin 1.7.1
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:04:16 +0000

Follow-up Comment #2, bug #29263 (project avrdude):

I generally work on OSX. I run XP within a VM so that I can support arduino
users who use windows. I believe folks who are primarily linux developers can
do the same, whether with VirtualBox/KVM/VmWare/or Xen.

I'm porting arduino to the xmega. I've put together packages for OSX. Using a
VM I put together a package for Linux users, even though I use Linux
infrequently these days. I'm trying to do the same for windows, even though I
do not use windows myself.

I spent a couple hours trying to get avrdude to compile on windows yesterday.
I don't recall all the failure modes.

I do recall that without the -static, that gcc complains that it no longer
support no-cygwin and that I should consider using mingw. Which was somewhat
irritating as the avrdude manual says:
    To build avrdude from the source You must have
    Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/).
As I'm sure you've heard, it takes hours to download and install cygwin. And
I tried to get it to work because the manual said that cygwin was required,
not mingw. If mingw is the correct build toolchain, it would have been nice if
the manual had directed me to use MinGW.

Again, thanks for all the help.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29263>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/