[avrdude-dev] [bug #29263] Can't build avrdude on windows using latest c

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #29263] Can't build avrdude on windows using latest cygwin 1.7.1
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:31:30 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #29263 (project avrdude):

Well, my current FreeBSD version is too old to run
virtualmachine, I have to upgrade first.  Besides, it
would require a Microsoft license anyway (which I wouldn't
want to obtain, why should I pay for something I don't
really want to use?).

I've heard that Cygwin doesn't want to support MinGW builds
anymore, though I think you could still convince it to do
so by installing an older compiler version.  AVRDUDE Win32
builds have always been MinGW builds technically (in order
to avoid linking against cygwin1.dll, so to not run into the
DLL version mess); the recommendation to build under Cygwin
in MinGW compatibility mode has only been there as Cygwin is
a "one-stop show" with a nice installer, where in MinGW, you
have to pull all the individual packages yourself.

However, if Cygwin could not be convinced to build native
Win32 API (aka. MinGW) binaries anymore, yes, we indeed have
to withdraw the recommendation to use Cygwin as the build
environment from our documentation.

Please note that AVRDUDE didn't change in that respect in
any way, the only changes that are messing you up here are
Cygwin changes.  So if you're interested to keep the ability
for native Win32 API builds in Cygwin in future, you might
complain to the Cygwin maintainers.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29263>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/