[avrdude-dev] Re: [bug #29296] warning "can't read memory for cycle coun

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: [bug #29296] warning "can't read memory for cycle count" uploading to xmega
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:11:41 +0100

As giuliano carlini wrote:

> Thanks. Perhaps it's time to move to a new bootloader.

Well, I think for just a bootloader, STK500v1 is OK.

> Can you recommend a simple, light, bootloader that avrdude supports?

The only more lightweight protocol would be AVR109 (the "butterfly"
one).  Not sure about how far you could get STK500v2 down though.
It's a bit larger in the comm handling as it includes a real CRC, but
maybe if you restrict it to the things that are required for a
bootloader, it's fine.  Peter Fleury has one:

http://jump.to/fleury

``Fits into a 512work boot loader section.''

Question to the list: the "cycle counter" feature is currently always
implied, probing the last EEPROM cells for the counter.  Should we
perhaps make this an explicit feature?  I think it doesn't make real
sense to even probe it unless the -y (or -Y) option is enabled.  (I
think Brian enabled the probing by default so it can write that "count
is ... (if being tracked)" message.)