Re: [avrdude-dev] support for bitbanging GPIO lines through /sys/class/g

From: Ormund Williams
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] support for bitbanging GPIO lines through /sys/class/gpio
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 01:51:23 -0400

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 00:17 +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Radoslav Kolev wrote:
>
> > If you say that its worth to consider including it, even though it's
> > strictly Linux specific, I will add it to the patch tracker.
>
> The question is probably whether there is *any* known application that
> really runs AVRDUDE in such an (embedded) application right now, or
> can be expected in the near future.  So far, I've only seen AVRDUDE
> operating in classical PC (or alike) desktop environments.

Actually there is, I have a prototype system that runs AVRDude on an x86
SBC and is connected to an ATMega128 based board via a serial and
parallel port.  Now if I switch to an ARM based SBC it would be nice to
use the GPIO to do ISP without having to write any custom software, so
there's one vote for the idea.  In reality though I'm moving to using a
boot-loader for updating the code on the AVR board, so this project will
not be a candidate for this feature.

--
Ormund Williams
OrmLab LLC