[avrdude-dev] [bug #30753] bsd programmer causes PCI parport to bring in

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30753] bsd programmer causes PCI parport to bring interrupt storm to Linux
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:20:56 +0000

Update of bug #30753 (project avrdude):

             Assigned to:                    None => joerg_wunsch

Follow-up Comment #1:

I'm sorry, but there is not much AVRDUDE could do about that.
We cannot modify the hardware that is already being used in
the field.  In your situation, simply pick a different
parport programming adapter.  Note that using ACK for MISO
input appears to be a very popular choice, if you look at
the other programmer definitions (including the old Kanda
STK200).

Also, if that problem only exists for one parport adapter
driver in your OS, this rather smells like a driver bug to
me then.  It is arguable that, when opening /dev/parportN,
the driver could/should know that it does not make sense to
use interrupts at all, so they ought to be turned off
completely.  At the very least, the interrupt storm should
terminate by the time AVRDUDE stops using the port.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?30753>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/