[avrdude-dev] [bug #31386] A "BUILD.svn" or similar "how to get started"

From: anonymous
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #31386] A "BUILD.svn" or similar "how to get started" doc would be helpful
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:48:56 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: Philip
        Originator Email: address@hidden
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

A small thing, but I think a document on how to get started with an SVN build
would be helpful. I didn't find one when I looked.

I had some vague recollection that projects that use autoconf generally
required running some script on the raw files from SVN before the usual
configure/make dance would work.

I eventually worked out that the file I should be executing was the one named
"bootstrap".

Ignoring for the moment I should be using a terminal setup that makes it more
immediately obvious which files are executable :) I think it would be nice to
have a brief "getting started doc". Something like:

----------8<----------

BUILD.svn

How to build avrdude from SVN:

1. svn co svn://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/avrdude/trunk

2. cd trunk/avrdude

3. ./bootstrap

4. ./configure

5. make