Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #34339] back to back avrdude commands fail ondrag

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #34339] back to back avrdude commands fail ondragon_isp on Ubuntu 10.10
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:06:15 -0700

address@hidden
> Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #34339] back to back avrdude commands fail
> ondragon_isp on Ubuntu 10.10
>
> Follow-up Comment #4, bug #34339 (project avrdude):
>
> BTW, this avrdude patch has now missed the official Arduino 1.0
release.

> It is ironic that without this patch it is not possible to burn a
> bootloader
> using the Arduino IDE or Arduino bootloader Makefiles
> since the AVR dragon is made by Atmel and Arduino is the most popular
> software
> environment for the Atmel AVR.

Hi Bill,

Some things to reconsider:

- avrdude is the upstream project to Arduino. It is up to the Arduino
folks to make sure that the avrdude program that they include is
suitable for their needs, not the other way around.

- Yes, Arduino is a popular software environment for the AVR. However,
it is not the most popular. There are more people who use the AVR GCC
toolchain straight, without the Arduino layer on top of it.

Now, having said that, we do feel it is important to work with the
Arduino development team, if they notify us of any important issue. We
want to make sure that any problems get resolved for them.

Eric Weddington