[avrdude-dev] [bug #34339] back to back avrdude commands fail on dragon_

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #34339] back to back avrdude commands fail on dragon_isp on Ubuntu 10.10
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 07:20:51 +0000

Follow-up Comment #10, bug #34339 (project avrdude):

One more thing that just occurred to me:

Of course, adding anything like that _does_ have side-effects for
other users.  The obvious side-effect is that they have to wait much
longer until they are being told their device is not present at all,
either since the e.g. mistyped the programmer name, or they requested
a particular serial number that is not present in the system.  A
three-second "dead time" can be annoying in that situation.  Keep in
mind that specifying a serial number that is guaranteed to not exist
(like, -P usb:x) together with one -v option is a common way of
finding out all the serial numbers of the requested devices present on
the system.  This (ab)use would also suffer from the delay.

A less obvious (but much more annoying) side-effect here is that it
will announce all the devices that are present in the system 30 times.
Thus, your 6-line hack will need to get more sophisticated to cope
with this, and to ensure each device that has been found will be
announced at most once.

Likewise, nobody can really tell three seconds is enough for
everybody.

I'm not sure I like the "goto" command there, an outer (do … while)
loop to count down the timeout would IMHO be more appropriate.

For those reasons, I'll probably add another commandline option to
activate the hack (like, -x usb_wait_time=3).  Obviously, this
requires Arduino users to change their Makefiles then in order to
benefit from the hack, which poses the question why they could not
change their Makefiles for a single avrdude command in the first place
…

Also, your patch lacks documentation, something that's easily being
skipped by people submitting patches, and then left to the
maintainer(s).  All this together (with testing etc.) makes it more a
5-hour job than the 5-minute one you think it were.

I hope now you see why I didn't quickly and blindly apply it the way
you submitted it.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?34339>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/