Re: [avrdude-dev] Remote programming

From: Pink Boy
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Remote programming
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:59:44 -0800 (PST)

Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó sez,

>Is there any way to realise a remote programming with avrdude?

>Use case: our AVR device with a bootloader (emulating a programmer) will be
>connected to an ethernet-to-serial converter (well, one which operates over
>cellular network), so on the server side I need to connect to a specific TCP
>port with avrdude, instead of /dev/ttySx or ttyUSBx.

I do just that under Windows (don't tell Joerg) using AVRDude and a Moxa 8
channel Ethernet to serial converter and a virtual com port driver.  Seems to
work okay if you're emulating the STK500 protocol.  The STK500.exe utility
works as well except for it's brain dead limit on ports, COM1-COM8 only.  For
Xmega's (spit) we had to patch AVRDude to be able to use PDI with a serial port
not a USB port.

Matt