Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude r1160 Segmentation fault

From: Hannes Weisbach
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude r1160 Segmentation fault
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 11:27:32 +0200

Am 06.05.2013 um 20:19 schrieb Joerg Wunsch:

> As René Liebscher wrote:
>
>> as C guarantees only 16 bit for an int but 32 bit for a long, you
>> better take the long as fallback. (even if is unlikely that avrdude
>> will ever be compiled for a machine with only 16 bit integer.)
>
> We rely on default integers being 32 bit in AVRDUDE in so many places,
> so I think this is a moot point.
>
> If you really think it's necessary, you could still check for UINT_MAX
> being large enough.  I think that's better than potentially allocating
> 64-bit integers here.
Shouldn't we require a C99-compliant compiler, so we are sure to have stdint.h?
We then can use proper types throughout avrdude. I mean avrftdi uses C99
features right now (VSAs, //-style comments, declaration placement) as does
other parts of avrdude (variadic macros), so we might as well make it explicit.
gcc/clang is available for Windows (mingw), Linux, *BSD, OS X, ... so which
major platform causes the holdup? Or is there some other reason I'm missing?

Regards,
Hannes