Re: [avrdude-dev] avrrftdi driver port selection

From: Hannes Weisbach
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrrftdi driver port selection
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 17:48:14 +0100

Am 15.01.2014 um 16:55 schrieb Jonathan Schneider <address@hidden>:

> On 15 Jan 2014, at 13:29, Hannes Weisbach <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Am 15.01.2014 um 10:52 schrieb Jonathan Schneider <address@hidden>:
>>>
>>> But I am absolutely baffled as to what port to specify.
>> The FT2232D should work out of the box, if you didn’t change the
>> VID/PID.
>>>
>>> If I put usb:999 or even complete garbage after the -P I don’t get any kind
>>> of meaningful error but does seem to know whether I have the FT2232D
>>> plugged in regardless of -P. It looks as if port selection is somehow
>>> completely automatic and -P is ignored. What if I have more than one
>>> FT2232D ?
>> You need to put the USB VID/PID of your FTDI in hex after -P like so:
>> '-P 0403:6010‘.  Why did you feel the need to put '-P usb:n‘ in the
>> avrdude command line?
>
> Thank you Hannes. May I suggest the manual be updated ?
Of course. Please supply a patch ;)

> Useful to know since my FT2232D board has an EEPROM that is nominally setup
> like the JTAG section of a Marvell Sheevaplug with different IDs (if it has
> been programmed properly which it might not have been).
You can also have a custom avrdude.conf in which you can declare a
custom programmer which 'inherits‘ from avrfrtdi but has a different
VID/PID.  Then you can use that programmer with -c and save the typing
of -P <…>.  If you think other people might benefit from such a new
programmer declaration you can supply a patch for that too.

> There is still the question of how do deal with having more than one FT2232D
> present. It’s not a problem for me right now but could be and should be
> catered for.
It is.  You can set a serial number in the EEPROM, which avrftdi can
use to select a matching chip.  There should be an option for avrdude
to supply a some sort of "usb serial number“ - but I don’t know which
option it is or whether it is implemented.

Best regards,
Hannes