Re: [avrdude-dev] New chinese programmer's driver

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] New chinese programmer's driver
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 13:54:57 +0100

As Simone Briatore wrote:

> Is there some sort of standard way to implement a new programmer in
> avrdude? A sort of API or similar?

There's probably no real guide to it.  Remember that AVRDUDE merely
evolved into what it is, rather than having been designed ground up.
It started out as Brian Dean's little project to drive his
parallel-port attached programming dongle under FreeBSD.

Usually, one picks the closest programmer implementation that seems
appropriate, and then modifies it.

However, since you say it might be based on USBasp, you might consider
tweaking the USBasp implementation to accomodate for the clone device.

> Instead of adding an avrdude component you think is better to create
> a real linux driver and make the device appear as a standard linux
> SPI interface and then tell avrdude to access it?

I don't think that's worth the while.  First, it will only help Linux
users (leaving all other Unix users, including OSX, out), and then, I
guess you have to duplicate a lot of the higher-level code from
AVRDUDE.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/