[avrdude-dev] New chinese programmer's driver

From: Simone Briatore
Subject: [avrdude-dev] New chinese programmer's driver
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 20:39:52 +0800

Hello everyone,

I'm new in this mailing list.

2 weeks ago I bought this device http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=36596969793 (the website is in chinese), by zhifeng software, which is simply a usb to ISP device with an additional reset pin that can be controlled via software. The hardware is based upon an atmel microcontroller and few other components, and i think is a modified version of the usbasp project (http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/)

Since it is very cheap (~2.5$) and it works well (under windows with its proprietary program), i want to write down a linux driver (since i use linux). Using reverse engineering methods i came up with a working (with some minor bugs) libusb program that can send and receive data through the isp.
Now i would like to insert it in avrdude but i encountered some troubles:

- I never used avrdude, since i couldn't with my programmer, so i just red some tutorials about it
    - I could not find a documentation about implementing a new programmer

Is there some sort of standard way to implement a new programmer in avrdude? A sort of API or similar? I searched a little around but i didn't find anything...

or

Instead of adding an avrdude component you think is better to create a real linux driver and make the device appear as a standard linux SPI interface and then tell avrdude to access it? Like a /dev/<something> device let's say...

Thank you very much
...and sorry if i did some mistakes but english is not my first language..

Simone Briatore