Re: [avrdude-dev] Adding ELF file loader

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Adding ELF file loader
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 21:40:24 +0100

As Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> Well, ELF files have been supported for years now ...

Since 2012, version 6.0.

> Only thing, you need one -U option for each memory section to
> apply. Changing this would require a major architectural reorg to
> the code.

Having said this, I certainly wouldn't mind if someone were adding an
"all" meta memory section to the -U command, meaning "program to all
memory areas that are present in the ELF file":

avrdude ... -U all:w:elffile.elf

I don't think it makes sense to change the default (no memory section
specified) -U behaviour from "flash" to "all" though: many things like
fuses and EEPROM data are usually not meant to be rewritten at *each*
programming cycle anyway (causing unnecessary wear to the respective
flash cells).

But again, something like this is not a really simple job to add to
the codebase.  I considered it when I added ELF file support, but gave
up on the idea since I didn't think it was that badly needed given the
implementation effort it requires.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/