[bug #60575] Permission denied on macOS Big Sur

From: Brian Good
Subject: [bug #60575] Permission denied on macOS Big Sur
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 16:10:23 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #60575 (project avrdude):

Victor,
Yes, I spent a lot of time on this as a user and finally got it working (also
MacOS Big Sur using the Atmel-ICE).  The fundamental problem is that when
MacOS sees a device (like the Atmel-ICE), it claims it for itself.  The new
programming model is that Apple wants you to use the Human Interface Device
API (a subset of USB).  There was a previous workaround that used a zero code
kernel extension file (KEXT) to grab the device before MacOS claimed it, but
this no longer works in Big Sur.  I think the HID was is a better solution.
So here is what I did...

First, the avrdude support for HID USB devices requires a package called
HIDAPI.  I got the code from GitHub (github.com/libusb/hidapi.git):

a) download with the command below into a directory (mine was ~/code) in
Terminal

git clone git://github.com/libusb/hidapi.git

b) change to the newly created directory and run this command to get the
development scripts

cd hidapi
./bootstrap

c) run the configure command to check that your system has the tools to
compile

./configure

d) compile

make

e) run this command to install the newly compiled hidapi libraries.  This
requires access to the target directories (/usr/local/include and
/usr/local/bin), so it will require your MacOS password

sudo make install

Next, you need to get the latest avrdude code.  The most recent I could find
was also on github:

a) Download - run this back from your (~/code) root code directory

git clone git://github.com/facchinm/avrdude.git

b)  Now comes the fix to the bug.  See my earlier post in the AVRDUDE mailing
list for a line of code that needs to be added.  I am not sure if the post
mentions it, but the file that needs to be edited is configure.ac

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2021-03/msg00001.html

c) Once you are done, switch to the avrdude directory and run bootstrap

cd avrdude
./bootstrap

d)  Since you changed the configure file, you need make sure the configure
script is updated, so run

./autoreconf

e)  Then run configure to check your tools again

./configure

f)  When that is done, look at the output from the configure command.  It
should mention in there that it located HIDAPI.  If not, you have a problem
from the first part.

g) Next, compile avrdude

make

h)  Finally, install it to /usr/local/include and /usr/local/bin

sudo make install

Hope this helps
Brian

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?60575>