[certi-dev] RE: CERTI security features / was: HLA Plugin for XPlane

From: Gotthard, Petr
Subject: [certi-dev] RE: CERTI security features / was: HLA Plugin for XPlane
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:09:18 +0200

Hi Martin, Hi everybody,
thank you for your offer. The people behind firewalls/gateways often get
their public IP dynamically assigned, so the simple workaround wouldn't
work. I'm afraid the changes in CERTI are inevitable. Here goes my
(prioritized) summary:

0) connection tunneling
allow people to use HTTP/SOCKS proxy for accessing the RTIG

1) access control
encrypted authentication very early in the session initiation
prevent people from accessing the RTIG
preferrably integrable with LDAP and/or other authentication services

2) connection security
prevent people from eavesdropping the RTIA--RTIG communication
prevent people from disturbing the RTIA--RTIG communication

3) RTIA--RTIG protocol version check
prevent people with incompatible RTIA version from connecting to RTIG

The 0) is an absolute requirement. The 1) may be necessary for running
RTIG in public Internet.
Some of 2) is described in several ONERA papers on this issue:
http://www.cert.fr/francais/deri/siron/cv/articles.html and implemented
in CERTI (using GSSAPI). I don't know what's the status of this
implementation.

Petr