[Chicken-hackers] Re: use host PCRE...

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Re: use host PCRE...
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 03:26:46 +0600

[...]

 > I think that Felix should add a message, when this option is
 > selected, that use of versions of PCRE other than that provided with
 > Chicken is completely at the user's risk,

        Sounds reasonable.

 > and that resulting frantic requests for help to the mailing list are
 > unlikely to produce useful help.

 > I also think that the README file should contain a specific
 > injunction to creators of packages and binary distributions NOT to
 > enable this option, no matter how appealing it might seem.

        I guess the members of the Debian security team will get quite
        upset would they be forced to fix the issues in both the PCRE
        and the Chicken packages at the same time.

        To state it once again, in case of security-related bug
        discovered in a Debian package, it's expected that a fix (i. e.,
        an another version of the binary package) will be prepared as
        soon as possible.  It would be a waste of time to prepare both
        the packages for PCRE and Chicken in case of a bug in fact
        affecting only the former.