Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: use host PCRE...

From: Vincent Manis
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: use host PCRE...
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:12:12 -0800

On 2008 Jan 08, at 13:26, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

        I guess the members of the Debian security team will get quite
        upset would they be forced to fix the issues in both the PCRE
        and the Chicken packages at the same time.

        To state it once again, in case of security-related bug
        discovered in a Debian package, it's expected that a fix (i. e.,
        an another version of the binary package) will be prepared as
        soon as possible.  It would be a waste of time to prepare both
        the packages for PCRE and Chicken in case of a bug in fact
        affecting only the former.

Packagers will do as they choose, of course, but I would see the
inclusion of PCRE in Chicken as an implementation technique, rather
than an external dependency. So if the regular expression facilities
in Chicken are broken, it seems to me that it's up to Chicken to
repair them.

By contrast, GMP is not part of Chicken (and I always get terrified
installing it, because of all the warnings on the GMP page about
compilers generating incorrect code). Listing that as a dependency
makes total sense to me.

I'm not sure that there's a clear dividing line, but somehow those two
cases feel very different to me.

-- vincent