[Chicken-hackers] svnsync for egg mirrors

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] svnsync for egg mirrors
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:05:41 +0100

Hello!

I've been experimenting with using svnsync to mirror the eggs SVN repo.

Why, I hear you ask? Well, the cronjob that rsyncs the repo to
chicken.kitten-technologies.co.uk every hour makes the underlying server
run a high load average for a good few minutes whenever it runs, due to
using a lot of disk bandwidth :-)

svnsync seems to work OK. Once it's taken an initial mirror of the repo,
it does hourly syncs in just a few seconds, as it asks the remote repo
(via the SVN protocol) for commits since the last commit it's got, and
then applies those commits to the local repo.

The only downside is that it won't pick up revision property changes
unless it's told to explicitly reload them, as they are unversioned so
don't appear in the commit sequence.

So I propose that:

1) I make chicken.kitten-technologies.co.uk point to my svnsync repo
instead of the rsync-maintained one (it has the same UUID, so nobody
should see any difference, even people who've checked out from it)

2) The hourly rsync cron job be switched off

This should save system resources on both my machine and
code.callcc.org... making it practical to run MORE MIRRORS :-)

However, before doing any of the above, I'd be glad if anybody who can
think of a reason why this might be a Bad Idea would raise their hands!

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
http://www.snell-pym.org.uk/alaric/