Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: Backdoor GPL in message-digest

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: Backdoor GPL in message-digest
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:09:13 -0500

Hi Kon.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 15:44, Kon Lovett <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the "format-compiler-base" used by "error-utils" in "check-errors"
> situation nothing got linked, only packaged. Unless "errorf" is actually
> used then no linkage occurs. (And, at the time, the only module using
> "errorf" was "simple-units".)

I don't know what error-utils does nor why it has a dependency on
format-compiler-base nor why that's linked against only sometimes (an
explanation would help, is this a syntax extension?).  Nor do I
necessarily have time to audit your code for license compliance.  All
I know is I see a dependency and (require-extension) on a GPL-3 egg
and this usually means linking.  We have had licensing issues in the
past so we are sensitive to this.

In the future, perhaps you could document or discuss your reasoning
with your user community, rather than having us find out via
salmonella checks?  We do exist, and we hang out in #chicken.

Jim