Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: Backdoor GPL in message-digest

From: Magnus Achim Deininger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: Backdoor GPL in message-digest
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:38:53 +0200

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:16:58 +0200, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

That's not what I said.  I said you can't link a LGPL library to a GPL
library.  You said you *can* link a GPL library to a LGPL library, which
is of course correct (but the other way around).

Ah, I see: we are using the term "link to" in different senses.

Incidentally, this is precisely the major problem with both GPL and LGPL: defining what actually counts as linking and what does not. I remember a discussion on some other list quite a while back that would recommend not using either licence for Scheme or LISP code because with a lot of LISPs the distinction between the compilation, interpretation and linking phases did not apply in the same sense as with the languages that had been in mind when designing the GPL (mostly C and derivatives, it would seem). The thread ended in strongly advising people to consider BSD-2 or X/MIT licences instead, since they don't rely on those particular compiler semantics in any way. A similar problem also applies to languages like Pascal, where the interface description for individual modules is contained within the unit's source file. It's fairly typical for open source Pascal code to be redistributed and included in projects by just copying the needed source file directly, as opposed to making shared libraries and distributing headers (although that is possible in some dialects, it's mostly too much of a hassle). Basically in languages like that, the LGPL becomes identical to the GPL since there is no distinct linking stage that could be performed separately.

Magnus