Re: [Chicken-hackers] On Hash Collisions (28C3)

From: Alan Post
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] On Hash Collisions (28C3)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 10:57:33 -0700

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 04:36:41PM +0100, Peter Bex wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 10:29:18AM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> > Peter Bex scripsit:
> >
> > > Yes, and doing it in *every* *freaking* program.  Including
> > > third-party libraries written long ago or by people assuming a sane
> > > srfi-69 implementation (or more likely, not having thought about it).
> >
> > Not at all.  Only fixing programs that are exposed to potentially
> > malicious data, like HTTP request parameters.
>
> New attack vectors are discovered all the time.  It's hard to predict in
> advance how someone is going to be able to abuse any given program.
> Again, it's better to fix it at the root (the library) than in each
> application.

The OpenBSD team made that same assumption: they don't know what
the attack vector is, so they'll fix insecure patterns.  I think
by this point they've proven that interesting attack vectors do
emerge and that you can benefit from proactively addressing them.

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi cu penmi gi'e du