[Chicken-hackers] GC and heap growth percentage question

From: Peter Bex
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] GC and heap growth percentage question
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:00:57 +0200

Hello hackers,

Could someone explain to me the purpose of C_heap_growth?  If I run the
finalizer-error-test with -:hg using a higher value than 200 (ie, 250),
it doesn't crash with an out of memory error.  Poking and prodding in
gdb leads me to the (careful) conclusion that a too low heap growth
percentage is what's causing the finalizer-error-test to fail.

My current theory is that Felix's patch at
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2012-06/msg00077.html
causes GCs to happen in more rapid succession, so the heap size growth
between two GC would be limited by the number of finalizers.

I wanted to test this theory by applying the patch and modifying the
finalizer test, but for some reason I get an "out of memory - heap
full while resizing" panic even if I *don't* change anything!

The tests I wanted to try involved changing the size of the vectors
or only setting finalizers when (modulo i X) is 0, for some value of X.

http://sjamaan.ath.cx
                                                        -- Donald Knuth