Re: [Chicken-hackers] GC and heap growth percentage question

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] GC and heap growth percentage question
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 23:03:43 +0200 (CEST)

From: Peter Bex <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:00:57 +0200

> Hello hackers,
>
> Could someone explain to me the purpose of C_heap_growth?  If I run the
> finalizer-error-test with -:hg using a higher value than 200 (ie, 250),
> it doesn't crash with an out of memory error.  Poking and prodding in
> gdb leads me to the (careful) conclusion that a too low heap growth
> percentage is what's causing the finalizer-error-test to fail.

C_heap_growth gives the percentage (relative to the old size) to what
the heap should grow in case of a dynamic heap resize. Using a higher
value will grow the heap at a faster rate. This is just one more
factor that influences number, frequency and type of GCs taking place.

You can try using a fixed heap (say, using "-:h500m") - does that make
a difference? (the test seems to run ok on my machine).