Re: [Chicken-hackers] substring function and bounds checks

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] substring function and bounds checks
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 22:26:03 -0500

Alex Shinn scripsit:

> The warning is important, and this again emphasizes that there
> are two _unrelated_ functions - extraction and truncation - and
> that combining them is a bad idea.

The warning is important -- when it's important.  In my case, it was
important to avoid cluttering the exception log with spurious complaints
about the results of a process outside anyone's control.

In any case, that has zero to do with whether it makes sense to package
this behavior as a procedural abstraction.  Please note that I am *not*
arguing that Chicken's substring should behave this way, just that a
convenient implementation of the loose behavior does have use cases.

--
The Imperials are decadent, 300 pound   John Cowan <address@hidden>
free-range chickens (except they have   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan