Re: [Chicken-hackers] [PATH] Add an Emacs dir-locals file to enforce pro

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [PATH] Add an Emacs dir-locals file to enforce project style
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 14:13:34 -0500

Peter Bex scripsit:

> Feel free to supply us with a script that does this.

I want this precisely because I am not an Emacs user, and so don't know
how to write such a script.

> However, requiring Emacs to be installed for people who don't use
> Emacs is very rude,

De facto, then, the position is that people who don't otherwise use
Emacs must learn how to use it anyway in order to correctly format
their contributions.  That is much ruder.

With such a script, we can edit with anything and then bring our
contributions into Emacs format.  Emacs has a reputation for hugeness,
but that is no longer deserved in the era of modern browsers and suchlike
monstrous megaliths.  I have no objection to installing Emacs as just
another shell tool.

> so it would have to be a standalone CHICKEN program.

Emacs is the only program with the necessary knowledge AFAIK.
Attempting to replicate that in some other language is both unreliable
and unnecessary.

--
And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled,
maddening beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous