Re: [Chicken-hackers] chicken-fuse

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] chicken-fuse
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:55:13 +0100

Hi Evan,

I'm running up against some crazy segfault. It happens under some locally reproducibly circumstances, though I do not yet understand it.

Nevertheless, I'm concerned with the inconsistent related use of fuse_file_info_fh's result.

As far as I see it's only set in fuse_open_callback to the result of object-evict of the users value.

In fuse_release_callback it is used as - correspondingly - expected by first calling object-unevict on fuse_file_info_fh's return value.

However fuse_read_callback and fuse_write_callback both simply pass the result up to the user code. This strikes me as wrong, isn't it?

Unfortunately: that won't fix my problem. I'm using (as per documented recommendation) integer values as handles anyway. I would assume them to not be damaged that way. (BEWARE: that's a wild guess.)

The segfault I'm getting however is always when the return value fuse_file_info_fh is accessed. I tried to wrap an object-unevict around it - same. Just that the segfault is then no longer in my code, but right in the object-unevict I inserted into fuse.scm.

Continuing my wild guesswork: the stack trace from gdb points right into srfi-69 code and up the call chain the next I'm seeing is the "(let copy ...)" loop from object-unevict. The offending call seems to be hash-table-ref/default in the cond within that "copy" loop.

So unless someone is found, who is competent enough to debug object-evict/object-unevict, I'm afraid I'm lost.

At worst I'd recommend to simply remove the ability to use any Scheme object as file handle and simply require them to be integers. Then we could do away with the evict/unevict code.

Any thought?

Thanks

/Jörg