Re: [Chicken-hackers] incorrect warning during compilation

From: Kristian Lein-Mathisen
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] incorrect warning during compilation
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 10:32:23 +0200

We can't use the test egg in core.  However, there are so many hand-
rolled assertion/test-like macros that I've often wondered if it would
benefit us to make a simple test library part of core.  Core itself
could benefit from an improved test suite library, and eggs wouldn't
need an additional dependency for testing.  I don't think I want to
literally put the test egg into core.  I like the simplicity of the API
but the implementation is a bit messy and it's a bit hard to modify
the way it writes its output (try changing it to output some HTML,
for example).  This may just be a documentation problem, though.

I've tried to modify the way test works, too, I've concluded it's very messy. It's not very modular, so you have to copy-paste parts of the original and do your modifications there. It gave me the idea to write a new test egg with the same simple API but where it somehow was easier to modify the output like you describe.

Is your proposal to create a new test-egg-inspired test unit in core?

Anyway, your test would probably succeed even if the pointer type would
be incorrect.  It would just compile with a warning (which gets lost
in the noise).  If you change the index to 1 or 2, it might be a better
test since it would fail when the pointer type would be anything larger
than a char due to the address calculation ending up somewhere beyond
the string.  Additionally, we could compile the test with -Wall -Werror
for example, to catch C type errors.  Would you care to write a complete
patch to add FFI tests?  You can mail it with "git format-patch"

Of course, how silly of me! That should have been x[1]='B' and change input to "AxC". Writing good tests, I guess, is always a challenge.

I could put some tests down, but I wouldn't know where to start. What would be "complete"? Perhaps we could put this on the agenda for T-DOSE? I think that could be fun!

http://www.more-magic.net