Re: [Chicken-hackers] library unit restructuring

From: Evan Hanson
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] library unit restructuring
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 01:01:24 -0700

On 2014-07-14  0:11, Felix Winkelmann wrote:
> I actually found one case: module alias definitions with listish
> module name can not be distinguished from functor instantiation:
>
>   (module foo-alias = (chicken string))
>
> Which is obscure enough. Should be drop module-aliases? They are used
> internally for functors, but are probably useless otherwise.

Not sure. I took a look in svn and only one egg is using the "=" syntax
there, and that's as a functor instantiation in its tests
(levenshtein/trunk/tests/levtst.scm:106). So, you're suggesting that we
make `(module foo = ...)` mean functor instantiation exclusively, and
error when the right hand is just a module? I'm OK with that, especially
since the following is equivalent(?) and arguably more clear anyway:

    (module foo-alias ()
      (reexport (chicken string)))

Alternatively, we could define a precedence rule, but that may become
confusing quickly and for not much gain.

Evan