Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 21:14:25 +0200 (CEST)

> How hard is it would be to add to chicken an option to output a list of
> module dependencies: files which it will finally try to dload
> considering all renaming, functors, multiple definitions or whatever
> corner cases? Something like:
>
> chicken -emit-depends depends.out -analyze-only module.scm

You can try the "-debug M" option, which lists files referenced via
"require" and its variants, including "uses" declarations. This does
currently not handle included files, but that should be easy to add.

Perhaps you can give it a try and suggest a more usable output format.
Or should it even output makefile-rules?

> Also a related problem. Why CHICKEN searches for an extensions in
> repository only, import libraries also in the supplied -include-path's.
> This behaviour does not make sense for projects with many modules
> installed at once. Isn't it better to always search user supplied paths
> first, and built-in last? Also with an option to disable built-in.
> Similar to how C compilers handle <> includes. This will make crude
> scripting in CHICKEN's own test suite unnecessary, among the other things.

Yes, this probably needs some clean up as well. I have to check the
code and will try to figure something out.