Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal

From: Oleg Kolosov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:28:50 +0400

On 09/04/14 23:14, Felix Winkelmann wrote:
>> How hard is it would be to add to chicken an option to output a list of
>> module dependencies: ...
>
> You can try the "-debug M" option, which lists files referenced via
> "require" and its variants, including "uses" declarations. This does
> currently not handle included files, but that should be easy to add.

This option looks interesting, it event seems to differentiate between
built-in and installed modules, but AFAICT it requires import libraries
to be already in place to output something. So, it can not be used to
gather compilation dependencies.

What I really need is a way for a given name to tell if it's installed
extension module (egg or built-it) or some unknown (to assume it's
coming from currently compiling application).

With changed include-path behaviour to allow additional modules to be
found in directories separate from EGG_DIR it would make life much
easier for multi-module applications. Especially taking into account
cross-compile setups.

> Perhaps you can give it a try and suggest a more usable output format.
> Or should it even output makefile-rules?

Please don't. Simple s-exps are fine and the easiest to handle.

--
Regards, Oleg