Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production

From: r
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 01:19:52 +0400

Hello
On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM, r <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello

happy to announce that we are in production with CHICKEN!

Professional karaoke system AST-50 with CHICKEN driven firmware.

http://www.art-system.ru/professionalnoe-karaoke/ast-50.html

Feel free to ask Oleg Kolosov, Yaroslav Tsarko and me about wonderful and dangerous trip to the parentheses land.

Wow, that's even cooler than what I was expecting when I saw the email. Not only it is 'in production', but it is a firmware too, not the average website. Congrats :)

\o/

Now, could you pretty please with cherry on top share some details? For instance, I saw some of the GUI in the advertisement. Is that  done in Chicken too? Is Chicken just used as a 'glue' between modules written in (insert whatever language here) or does it drive the whole system with occasional C libs thrown in?

Whole logic in Chicken with ffi to platform specific HAL C libraries, our audio/video player library uses CPS control-flow to manage complex hardware accelerators state so its also pretty schemish even if written in C.

GUI based on the Immediate Mode conception and updating on every frame, drawing function takes s-_expression_ layout and make straightforward tanslation into graphics accelerator primitives.

https://vimeo.com/107857415

How did you manage to convince management to use Chicken? :D

We have very adequate managment and small redeye team

Oh man, so many questions, so little time.

— Stephen