Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:30:46 +0900

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Florian Zumbiehl <address@hidden> wrote:

> Note XML, which is the usual transport for JSON, doesn't allow NUL,
> or in fact any ASCII control characters, so I think you're going to
> have a difficult time supporting such JSON anyway.  But If you really

JSON transport over XML?

Poorly worded, sorry.  The point being that JSON is typically sent to/from
webpages, which are the XHTML dialect of XML.  So neither the static data
of the _javascript_ nor the dynamic data from user interaction (input elements)
allow NUL.

I think that's what I wrote two posts ago? Yes, of course, you can work
around such limitations, but you certainly are not suggesting that the
right way to implement a JSON parser is to by default return character
strings as u8vectors, are you?

No, I'm suggesting that allowing NULs was a mis-design, and is actively
discouraged since there are many parsers which don't support it and
presumably never will.  But if you really wanted to you could do it.

--
Alex