Re: [Chicken-hackers] Why isn't OPTIMIZE_FOR_SPEED the default?

From: Sven Hartrumpf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Why isn't OPTIMIZE_FOR_SPEED the default?
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 09:38:37 +0100 (CET)

Mon, 3 Nov 2014 09:04:27 +0100, Peter.Bex wrote:
> How about restoring the optimization option to the defaults and seeing
> what breaks?  For me it was highly unexpected that CHICKEN was producing
> completely unoptimized code, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one,
> so if this doesn't break on too many systems, it's a saner default.
> If it's too aggressive, we could try -O2 instead or even -O1.

Just my experience with a large application (chicken generates one C file
of 700 KLOC) and gcc 4.8.N:
Chicken built
- with "-O2    -fomit-frame-pointer -march=corei7": has been ok for 2 years or
so
- with "-Ofast -fomit-frame-pointer -march=corei7": caused errors (last checked
  in late 2013; I can retry if someone is interested)

Ciao
Sven