Re: [Chicken-hackers] Big Chicken?

From: Oleg Kolosov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Big Chicken?
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 01:34:19 +0300

On 05 Mar 2015, at 00:16, Daniel Leslie <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've been working on improving editor support for Chicken lately. With the
> (laudable) efforts to remove units from core underway it struck me that there
> may be opportunity for improvement in the other direction.
>
> While reducing Chicken core to its essential components is desirable I would
> like to think that the Chicken distribution, which contains more than core,
> would be somewhat of a 'batteries included' package. At least insofar as what
> is common to package with language distributions these days. IE, a powerful
> debugger, a utility to fetch documentation, and a powerful set of tools to
> explore the language within the REPL.
>
> With that in mind, and acknowledging that perhaps it's a little self-serving,
> I would like to propose that the following Eggs be shipped within the
> standard Chicken distribution:
>       • apropos
>       • chicken-doc
>       • trace
> Any thoughts? Or is this out of the question?
>
> -Dan

Hello. I plan to make Windows installer with the parts of the
https://github.com/bazurbat/chicken-eggs included which will compile
successfully with the MSVC.

In theory it should be straightforward to pack everything into tar.gz, but
various interesting eggs have dependencies on system libraries - building and
testing all this on different Linux flavours can be quite a pain. We can avoid
the issue by providing Docker image with everything set up. Some modern
language distributions use this approach (Go, Ruby) - but it might be not as
convenient to work with. Maybe this is not what you want.

--
Regards, Oleg
Art System