Re: [circle] Hosts do not find each other

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] Hosts do not find each other
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:31:24 +1000

Asheesh:
> I am running The Circle on a private network.  These machines cannot
> connect to the primary Circle network.

> (I have tried these procedures on both Linux (Debian) and Windows (XP)
> machines, and with both the latest release (0.35) and today's CVS.)

> So, I started The Circle on one computer, and it waited a minute or so,

At this point, you need to type in:
!node.activate_hashtable()

> and I started it on a second workstation.  I inputted the IP into the
> manual connect dialog, but neither computer's Circle program noticed.
> I did "Browse current peers" and it apologizes for not finding anyone.

The trouble is that it won't activate it's "peer" code (the hashtable)
until it's been connected to the network solidly for 20-30 minutes. So
you need to tell it to do that anyway, and then the rest of your
procedure will work:

  - start up circle on computer A
  - type into A:
      !node.activate_hashtable()
  - start up circle on computers B, C, D
  - tell B, C, D to connect to peer A

Doing this in a nicer way is probably on a wish-list somewhere...

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools