Re: [circle] Many notes on my Circle experience

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] Many notes on my Circle experience
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:36:03 +1000

> > Asheesh:
> > > What would be the easiest way for clients to determine the size in
> > > files of the network, if we can assume that never will more than
> > > 400 people be connected?

Jiri:
> > Easiest formula:

> >      number of files I'm responsible for
> >   fraction of hashtable I'm responsible for

> > Not the most accurate number, but should be a reasonable guess, it's
> > easy to calculate, and works regardless of the number of peers.

Asheesh:
> Would this count unique files?  So there are two ways to count
> something.  Let's ask, "How many words are there in Alice in
> Wonderland?"

> The answer is either "12,000" or "500" (or so).  I don't want the
> number of unique files, I just want the raw count.

This formula would give you either, depending on which number you put in
at the top. You could even display both numbers in your info box.

> Actually, I want the total amount of data in GiB or terabytes or so
> on.

I think you can get that, too, but I'd have to check.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools