[circle] Win32 debugging: RFH

From: Asheesh Laroia
Subject: [circle] Win32 debugging: RFH
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:55:08 -0400 (EDT)

This is a Request for Help for the Windows port.  I'm trying to deploy
Circle for a group of at least several hundred users, on platforms
including Debian, Windows, and Mac OS X.  I think this is a great
opportunity for Circle. :-)

I want help finding out why the Windows version sometimes chews up MASSIVE
AMOUNTS of the CPU, and causes INTENSE LATENCY (scores of seconds before
the program acknowledges clicks), but only SOMETIMES (!!!).  (Ahem.)

I have an inkling that some of this is caused by hashing, which brings up
the issue that that thread might be using more time than it deserves.  No
matter, I will find out once I run Circle through the profiler.

Except I have no idea how to do this.  I can probably interpret profiler
output, but how do I start it?

And I've heard of Psyco (psyco.sf.net); seeing as much of this code is C
glue, I don't think that'll help.  But I don't know.  What do you guys
think?

I humbly offer to do work on this, but I didn't design it.  I can toss out
some ideas on that serialization idea, but I would very much like help in
making it work non-painfully on Win32.

-- Asheesh.

--
Was it a car or a cat I saw?